Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Workforce re-entry," Houston, we have a problem"

         All well written plans have wrinkles and ours would prove to be no different. See, when you sit down with the family and decide that this is what best you have to carefully take into consideration all the pro's and cons. Unfortunately, the economic collapse of the nation was not on the con side when we came up with the SVP position.  This was supposed to be a 3 to 4 year gig with the option to go back to work after the girls were settled in school.
          When we left the Philadelphia area  in 2008 things still had the appearance of normal. By normal I mean the country looked nothing like the train wreck that it would 3 months later. We moved to St Louis, settled in their and watched the layoffs happen on a daily basis. Friends, family, and neighbors alike were heavily impacted by the collapse of the major banking and financial institutions. Unemployment rose, and the market became ultra competitive, and unfortunately as a SAHD, I became less and less marketable as the days went by.
          Going into the move to St Louis I knew that I was going to be home full time with the girls since wifey was traveling so much. It made no sense for us to add the stress of day care and sick days and all that garbage if we didn't have to. Fortunately for us we were at a place financially where it just made sense. I accepted that the was my deal for the next 2 to 3 years and that was that. For those of you that know me, this was not easy. I was used to hustling and selling and being out and about. It was like going from 5th gear to 1st with no stops between. Little did I know that my daily stresses in this new role would make a job look like nap time.  I obtained a personal training certification while home but really did not do much with it, but we will revisit that another time. I volunteered at my daughter's  school often and co-chaired  a few events at school to stay active and be able to talk to big people on occasion.  I was active in the PTA and tried to make as many contacts as I could but unfortunately we were in an area that was heavily impacted by the economic downturn. I even had the best free head hunter that got me an interview with a pharm company. As it turned out they wanted to hire me but cut the sales force in half a week after they interviewed me.
          Well, wouldn't you know that almost to the day of wifey's time commitment in her role was up she got promoted. Such an awesome moment for all of us and I could not have been prouder of what she had accomplished. She is an amazing person and has worked extremely hard to get where she is. This was also huge for the family because we were heading back EAST. Both of our families are from the Northeast so not only was it a great promotion, but it was also bringing us closer to home. We packed up the kids and off we went.
          So here we are in upstate NY, wifey has settled in and the girls are doing great. One problem, Dad can't seem to find something to get into. I have had numerous responses to the old resume and have had phone interview after phone interview but unfortunately when we  get to the question of "What have you been doing since 2008", it all goes south ........in a hurry. See, most recruiters ( except the one's I know and love!)  have issue with the fact that I have been a SAHD for the past three years. I confidently explain to the that if you can sell , than you can sell and reiterate the 15 years of experience I have.  Sales is not something that leaves you over time. Unfortunately they are not buying. I even used the sales diamond on one of them and left him speechless. For those of you who know what that is stop laughing....I rocked the diamond! I was even told by a recruiter once ( who was awful) while he read off his script, that since I was out of work for over 2 years that he simply could do nothing for me. I told him it was by choice but still no dice.
           If I could give a word of advice to those recruiters out there that are trying to fill positions and get paid per hire it would be this:  get me the face to face, I will do the rest. The way I look at it is yes, I have been out for 3 years, but that just means  I am well rested. I am not one of these folks walking around waiting for the hammer to drop, miserable with being underpaid for taking on more,  and always looking for the next opportunity. I have plenty to give and could sell a ketchup popsicle to a guy in a white suit. Don't judge the fact that I have been home with the kids. Do you have any idea what its like trying to sell a 4 yr old on an outfit to wear in the morning? The fact of the matter is while you are on your  computer updating your Facebook status and checking your fantasy team ranking I am doing 4 loads of laundry, cleaning the house and making sure that wifey and the kids are going to have a hot meal by 6:45. Oh , and I forgot walking the ten pound dog 4 times as she has the bladder the size of a pea!
         I have decided to stop the search for now and be the best SVP I can be. There is no sense stressing myself over positions that I do not want. Hopefully the calls from the script readers will come to an end and I will have the opportunity to work on a life long dream of mine and finish my business plan for my children's fitness center. If the workforce does not have a position for me than I will just have to create one!
           Listen, I am a firm believer that  everything happens for a reason, so when the little one starts school full time, I know the opportunity of a lifetime will knock on my front door. See, I am a glass half full guy so I know that not only will I be able to look back on this time and thank my lucky stars I had it, I'll be looking back from my corner office window!

Gotta run, I have pulled pork in the crock pot that needs to come out, and the dog is standing at the back door!



SVP-Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment