Monday, January 23, 2012

Laundry

          Not knowing that eventually I would become the SVP of Household Ops, I never really paid any attention to the laundry. It was one of those things that eventually had to be done and if we went a week without doing it there never seemed to be a problem. I threw my clothes on the floor in the closet and magically a few days later they were folded and on the bed waiting to be put away. This I could handle. I usually folded a load or two here and there and was kept far away from anything of any importance. Moving to Missouri changed that and changed it fast.
          I quickly needed to become the master of the two big machines in the room I never went in. I learned quickly. What I do not understand is why with the technology we have today, we have yet to create a machine that washes and then dries the clothes without switching machines. We can video chat on a phone but we still need to move clothing from one machine to another to complete the cycle.
          My mastering of the machines has not come without casualties however. In the beginning I was of the mindset that if it was in the hamper, it was meant to go from washer to dryer and then get folded. Apparently that is not the case. Not only do I need to know which sweaters are "good'  sweaters, I need to remember to take them out between switching and air dry them.  Who would have thought that a cashmere sweater was not to be dried.......not me! Don't worry though it fit our youngest for a few weeks before we had to eventually get rid of it! What 4 year old doesn't love cashmere? I continue to explain to wifey that if you don't want it washed and dried you need to take it out or send it to the dry cleaner. And jeans .....I always dry my jeans ...they come out wrinkle free and require no ironing. Apparently "Lucky" jeans need to separated and air dried so they do shrink. My advice to wifey was to shrink her rear and we would have no problem. That did not go over well, and if you are married less than 10 years do not attempt that line without a helmet! Needless to say those jeans no longer get dried and I am much more careful on my word selection.
          The other thing I do not understand is how two kids that are so small can produce so much laundry. I am confident that there is a sweat shop somewhere in my basement where they are producing clothes faster than I can wash them. I had to have  a conversation with my youngest the other day because she was not understanding how her clothes went from the laundry, got folded and then magically ended up back in her closet and drawers. She now understands that there is no such thing as the laundry wizard. And it always seems no matter how many times I do the laundry, when I walk back upstairs to their rooms, there is always more. Where does it come from?
          The good thing about me taking over this task is that I can fold it the way I want it folded and empty my pockets of change and junk before they get thrown in the machine. You know how many times I had to be told how much money was found in the laundry? " Consider it a tip"  I would say....again, not a solid choice on my part. Wifey is also of the mind set that if you put it in the wash inside out than it will be folded that way. Uh, no, that does not even make sense. Finally I can have all my shirts right side out and folded like the shirts are folded at the Gap!
          Laundry is a necessary evil that needs to get done. What once was a weekly event is now a daily event.  Gents, cover your tracks.....if it looks like a nice sweater, pull it out, and if the jeans cost more than $100 , air dry them!


 next topic - " Mommy and Me" classes.

SVP - Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment