Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Raising girls !! and Justin Bieber

          If you would have told me in 1995 that I would be a stay at home dad with two little girls, I would have laughed in your face.  But looking back on the last three years it is clear to me that I have been given the opportunity of a lifetime.  When we had our first child, I cried like a baby and then realized that the big man upstairs was playing a cruel joke on me for giving me a girl.  I could see him sitting up there on his lay-z-boy laughing saying" There ya go big guy!  Remember all those rotten things you did when you were in High School, and College and wearing that ridiculous ponytail tanning seven days a week? Now you gotta deal with that guy knocking on your front door !!"  I could actually hear him laughing.  Then we got pregnant again, rephrase, my wife got pregnant again,  I did little to nothing to initiate, I'm a guy! We had another little girl, and it hit me, I was going to have to change my mindset, and get ready to prepare these girls for the clowns that are sure to be ringing the doorbell.
          Then the life changing call from my wife that we were moving to St Louis, and she would be traveling every other week for 2 to 3 days a week, AKA, " you just got promoted to SVP of Household Operation".  I made it through diapers, and even have a favorite princess, Jasmine, she's so hot and I even got my picture taken with her at Disney.  Is that creepy?  Don't answer that because I don't care ! I started watching Disney movies, and frighteningly enough, really like them. There is a calmness about the movies and a feel good to them that puts a smile on my girls faces, and makes me take notice. You can't get any of that from Power Rangers or Spongebob.
          All was good on the home front until our oldest hit 6, then came Bieber Fever.  All the sudden it was "Baby, Baby, Baby....oh!! " and purple here there and everywhere.  That kid was all over every wall we had in the house and on everything that had a speaker that produced sound.  Scariest part was, if you pulled up next to me at a light, my Yukon was pumping Bieber.  I tried to fight it with every ounce of my being but that kid was forcing his way into my home like an intruder.  He knocked down the door and sat in my favorite char and drank my beer while I just stood there and watched.  Then came the worst part of all, his movie. I must say however, I loved it !  I took the girls to see it,  and to see their faces was priceless. They sat in their chairs motionless and rocked back and forth when the songs were on, and me, I was rocking in my seat like I was at a Bon Jovi concert in 1993 !!  I give the kid credit, he started with a video on YouTube and marketed himself from top to bottom.  He worked his butt off to get where he is, and although I want to hate him with every ounce of my being, I can't. He earned his fame and puts a smile on my girls faces so win-win.
          My iPod has more kids songs than  would like to admit, my DVD collection is certainly not what it used to be but then again neither am I.  I am a Dad that has two little girls . I will go to the ends of the earth to see them smile, and make sure that I am a good listener.  I will continue to workout and make sure that I am a step faster than any of the 'Dudes" that ring my bell.  Yes boys, that was your one and only warning.
The girls are sleeping and my wife is traveling, time for a beer and Two and a Half Men ! (with Charlie Sheen of course!! )

Goodnight !


No comments:

Post a Comment