Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The grocery store .......

          Somebody told me that I should start keeping a log my observations so I decided that this year I would give it a shot.  I have been a stay at home dad now for three years and it has been nothing short of amazing.  I have two girls.. 4 and 7 and my wife is an Executive at a large company.  I'm hoping the writing will be therapeutic.  If you enjoy it let me know,  and if you don't,  let me know too !!! That being said, let's go to the grocery store.
            Well, today was the day to go to the grocery store, not just any grocery store, but the new grocery store that has all the great deals that draw people in from miles away to save pennies at best.  Not only is it annoying to even have to go, but add a 4yr old who,  more than likely will have to pee at some point,  and a group of senior citizens being dropped off by a bus,  and you know that there is gonna be trouble.
          The trip begins with picking out the cart.  The place is so crowded to begin with and my little one decides that she wants the cart that is twice the size of the regular cart therefore making it next to impossible to get through the aisles even if nobody is there. Ok, cart picked, and we are off and running, or slowly rolling.
          My beef with this particular store( Shop Rite of Niskayuna) is that they have more employees working in the aisles than customers shopping,  so navigating your way through without hitting somebody is next to impossible.  We navigate through and are going great, checking things off and having a blast when all the sudden here it comes..."Dad I gotta pee" So off we go, cart half full and looking for the bathroom which of course is in the least accessible spot in the store.  We do our business and exit as the older gentleman in the flannel waits outside the stall to get ready to take care of his morning business.  Dude really, do that at home,  the grocery sore should be a last pee resort not a place to drop the kids at the pool.
          So we continue, and now the place is packed. The older ladies who are once smiling are now bumping carts and not acting so cordially to one another. Finally it happens, the cart stand off.  Two ladies trying to navigate the aisle with room for only one, one smiles, the other does not and verbally assaults. "It's not that bad " I say as we pass and smile as to say get a grip on yourself it's the grocery store. There are much bigger issues in the world than you and your produce, TRUST ME !!
          We make it through and I need a stiff drink and a massage.  My shoulders are up high and if somebody comes near me they are going to  get slapped.  The entire time my 4 yr old is singing a Rihanna song " Cheers to the freakin weekend".  Man I love this kid, the world could be on fire and she would still be singing. Ahh,  the parking lot. We have made it to a safe place where there is no blue hair, no cart wars and a sense of peace.  After all that, I check the receipt in the car and realize I forgot to use two coupons and got jacked on an item  that was supposed to be on sale.  Normally not a big deal, but my wife is a coupon  clipping maniac.  I ponder going back in to get the adjustment, but the blue haired bus pulls up to pick up the seniors, so instead of going in I decide to scrap the receipt and make no mention of the shopping slip ups of the day.  My 4yr old has no idea so I am safe.  Good times !! Well, tomorrow is gym day and if last weeks trainer smash into the machine is any indication on how it will go, you might wanna tune in.  

SVP-OUT!

1 comment:

  1. Just joined and started at the beginning... Really cute Pete!

    ReplyDelete