Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Mommy and Me " classes

          So, the topic was going to come up eventually so I had to figure out how to do a piece on these classes without aggravating the majority of those that read......women.  So, what I have come up with is a guide to surviving the class, rather than a rant on ripping them to pieces.
          If you "Google" Dad and me classes in the Albany area the first response is "Mommy and Me " classes in the Capital District. this should be a clear indication gentlemen that we are way outnumbered and are going to face an uphill battle when it comes to finding classes and groups that will cater to the sweatpants and sneaker wearing Dad's. Oh no fellas, we are going to have to up our game in so many ways just to survive.
          My first word of advice is to make sure that your self esteem is HIGH! In order to walk into one of these classes you need to make sure that you act "as if". For those of you that saw Boiler Room you know what I am talking about. For those of you that did not, acting "as if" is acting in a fashion that exudes confidence. Act "as if" you have been to these classes before. Act "as if" you could care a less that there are 30 women in the room compared to the one male( you!) The likelihood of another guy being in the class is low....very low, and if there is another guy in the class already he is furious with the fact that you are impeding on his Mommy and Me class. It becomes territorial real fast in these classes, which leads to my next piece of advice, Try the class first.
          Many of the classes that are offered allow you to come in and test the class out to make sure that it is right for you and your child......DO IT! By doing this you allow your child to get a look at the class and you can survey the situation to see exactly what you are getting yourself into. I believe that I can get a quick read on people in a short amount of time so by watching a class I can figure out who the players are. Before I have left the trial class I can tell if this is going to be a class I can deal with. A helpful hint here is to try and pick a class where you already know one person. My second Mom and Me class in St Louis had a good friend in it ( who was also from Jersey ! ) so it made it easier for me knowing that we were going to be able to chat for an hour while the girls were doing their thing.
          When it comes to attire be mindful of the fact that you are 1 guy in a class of 20-25 Moms. Showing up in sweatpants and a t-shirt is simply unacceptable! I made this mistake in my very first class. I showed up to a Mommy and Me gym class in sweats and a T-shirt thinking I was going to be helping her through the class. Little did I know I would be interacting with the Mom that wore $200 pair of jeans and looked like she was ready to go to a club. Take some time and be thoughtful of the audience. If you are going to an active class wear jeans and a golf shirt......little to no effort but makes it look like you at least  tried. If you are headed to a gymnastics class or something where you will just be spectating raise the game and put on a button down with jeans. It's not a pick up joint but you want to make sure that you look good. Looking good makes the confidence rise and therefore makes you look "as if" you have done this before.   On the flip side you will also notice that the ladies have raised their game in response to you. The Mom who showed up for your first class in sweats and a gap T is now putting in some effort. It's human nature, when you hang out with Mom's all day you get comfortable so when a Dad shows up the rules change. Mom's you know what I mean, and you also know I am right!
          My next piece of advice is to PAY ATTENTION!. We as a male species do a fantastic job of the initial handshake and when we walk away for some reason all is forgotten. Be a good listener, you are going to hear some of the funniest stuff ever! It is amazing to me that Mom's rip their husbands to shreds and have no qualms about doing it in front of another guy. Listen to what is going on and be able to add to the conversation. If you have nothing constructive to add, SHUT UP, this is not the time to wing it, they will eat you alive. If you have nothing on a topic, research the topic and be ready for the next class. Not only does it show you are smart but that you were actually paying attention! This will go far and might even make the Mom's put their guard down for a minute.  They are already thrown off by having a guy in the room, now having a guy that listens might lead to sensory overload.
          My last pice of advice on the topic is to make some friends. The reality of the situation is you are a part of a small population. If the Mom's are cool there is a good shot that their husbands are cool too! You have now made a friend, spouses can meet and the kids already know each other therefore increasing your small social circle. It is a win win for all involved. By getting involved at school and going to these classes I have met some fantastic people that we hang out with to this day.
          Listen, these classes are not easy. The name simply makes you want to take your manhood off at the door place it in a box and leave it in a locker until its done. The reality is it can be a really cool experience. You learn a lot about yourself and a ton about the other side! Be open, brush up on the hot kid topics and be able to contribute. Don't under any circumstances be the guy pretending to be working on his iPad in the corner at the class. Me and the Mom's will make fun of you behind your back, and you are most likely playing online poker anyway! I hope these tips help, nobody warned me before I went to the "My Gym" in Missouri so I thought I might try and save you from making the same mistakes I made.


SVP- Out !
         

No comments:

Post a Comment